It's pretty good, but not a standalone dinner. Chopped parsley helped punch it up a notch (thanks for the warning, fellow reviewers!) and I used all red beets because I buy them by the bunch. Maybe that one golden beet was the secret weapon? I'll make it again, but really, I'm glad that this recipe made me buy some phyllo sheets, because I've been baking Brie in them with honey, thyme, and maybe a smidgen of fruit jam and eating it with a spoon. And wine. And it is glorious. Now go make this! but don't forget to get Brie...for later.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 2 Hours, 5 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 403
- Fat: 25.7g
- Saturated fat: 6.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 10.3g
- Protein: 10.9g
- Carbohydrate: 31.7g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 446mg
- Calcium: 61mg
- 1 large red beet (about 1 pound)
- 1 large golden beet (about 1 pound)
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced exotic mushroom blend
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons organic vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 6 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- 8 (18 x 14-inch) sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed and divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Pierce each beet with a fork; wrap in foil. Bake at 400° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until tender; cool. Peel red beet; cut into 8 slices. Place in bowl with 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss gently. Repeat the procedure with golden beet and remaining oil, salt, and pepper.
- 3. Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- 4. Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and the next 4 ingredients (through shallot); sauté 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add nuts, broth, and wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid evaporates. Transfer mushroom mixture to a medium bowl; cool. Stir in cheese.
- 5. Place 1 phyllo sheet on a large cutting board (cover the remaining dough to prevent drying); coat phyllo sheet with cooking spray. Top with another phyllo sheet; coat with cooking spray. Gently press phyllo layers together. Arrange 2 slices red beet in center of 1 short edge of phyllo, leaving a 4-inch border. Top with 1/2 cup mushroom mixture; arrange 2 slices golden beet over top of mushroom mixture. Fold over long edges to cover.
- 6. Starting at the short edge with 4-inch border, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Place packet seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; brush with egg. Repeat with remaining phyllo, red beets, mushroom mixture, golden beets, and egg. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes