- 1 large red beet (about 1 pound)
- 1 large golden beet (about 1 pound)
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced exotic mushroom blend
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons organic vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 6 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- 8 (18 x 14-inch) sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed and divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 large egg, beaten
- calories 403
- fat 25.7 g
- satfat 6.1 g
- monofat 7.5 g
- polyfat 10.3 g
- protein 10.9 g
- carbohydrate 31.7 g
- fiber 3.5 g
- cholesterol 68 mg
- iron 2.8 mg
- sodium 446 mg
- calcium 61 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Pierce each beet with a fork; wrap in foil. Bake at 400° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until tender; cool. Peel red beet; cut into 8 slices. Place in bowl with 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss gently. Repeat the procedure with golden beet and remaining oil, salt, and pepper.
Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and the next 4 ingredients (through shallot); sauté 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add nuts, broth, and wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid evaporates. Transfer mushroom mixture to a medium bowl; cool. Stir in cheese.
Place 1 phyllo sheet on a large cutting board (cover the remaining dough to prevent drying); coat phyllo sheet with cooking spray. Top with another phyllo sheet; coat with cooking spray. Gently press phyllo layers together. Arrange 2 slices red beet in center of 1 short edge of phyllo, leaving a 4-inch border. Top with 1/2 cup mushroom mixture; arrange 2 slices golden beet over top of mushroom mixture. Fold over long edges to cover.
Starting at the short edge with 4-inch border, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Place packet seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; brush with egg. Repeat with remaining phyllo, red beets, mushroom mixture, golden beets, and egg. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until golden.