Good, but not long term filling on its own. I followed the recipe except I omitted the brown sugar.
Beet Soup with Potatoes and Beet Greens
This simple beet soup is hearty, nourishing, and flavorful. Serve with buttered crusty bread for a complete meal.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 135
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 7.5g
- Carbohydrate: 22.2g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 625mg
- Calcium: 88mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diagonally sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped peeled beets (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped red potatoes (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups coarsely chopped beet greens (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in beets and next 6 ingredients (beets through tomatoes). Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in beet greens and sugar; cook 5 minutes.
Add the greens to the soup at the end for a nutritious boost. If you prefer, you can use less than the four cups of beet greens called for in the recipe.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note