This was wonderful! Gorgeous color, light & airy, delicious. I used a souffle dish (not large enough, as I found out while cooking!). Cooked for about 1 hour. Only change was to use wasabi powder in light sour cream. Mix & refrigerate 1-2 hours for best flavor. Sauce went well with souffle but tasted bad on it's own! Would make this once a year.
Beet Soufflé with Lemony Horseradish Crème Fraîche
Serve this spectacular jewel-toned soufflé with roast beef and steamed asparagus for a special spring dinner.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 soufflé and about 1 tablespoon sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 126
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 6.2g
- Carbohydrate: 16.2g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 59mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 318mg
- Calcium: 73mg
- 3 small beets (about 12 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 (1/2-ounce) slice French bread
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 5 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup crÃ¨me fraÃ®che
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Leave root and 1-inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain; cool. Trim off beet roots; rub off skins. Combine beets and 2 tablespoons juice in a food processor; process until smooth. Set aside.
- Position oven rack to lowest setting, and remove the middle rack. Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place bread in a food processor, and process until finely ground. Lightly coat 8 (8-ounce) soufflé dishes with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with crumbs. Set dishes aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; cool to room temperature. Stir in beet mixture and egg yolks.
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; beat at high speed with a mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (do not overbeat). Gently fold one-fourth of egg white mixture into beet mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture. Gently spoon mixture into prepared dishes. Sharply tap dishes on counter 2 or 3 times to level. Place dishes on a baking sheet; place baking sheet on the bottom rack of a 425° oven. Immediately reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove soufflés from oven). Bake 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the side of soufflé comes out clean.
- Combine remaining 1 tablespoon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, crème fraîche, and horseradish, stirring well with a whisk. Serve with soufflés.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables