i made this with the left over beets from another beet salad recipe. the dressing is light and refreshing. i added more ginger than called for, 1/4 tsp didn't seem enough for my taste. actually the yogurt was also leftover from another recipe - good way to use up ingredients.
Beet Salad With Yogurt Dressing
Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 50 minutes.
Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups beets and 3 tablespoons dressing)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 87
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 9g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 434mg
- Calcium: 98mg
- 4 beets, preferably an assortment of colors, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt, stirred
- 1/4 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Scrub beets well, and pat them dry.
- 2. In a medium bowl, mix pepper, oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and coriander. Add beets, and toss to combine. Place beets on a large piece of aluminum foil, and wrap to cover, ensuring that beets stay in a single layer; close seams tightly to keep steam inside as the beets cook. (If you are using different colors of beets, wrap each color separately.) Discard remaining marinade. Place foil packet on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake 50 minutes or until cooked through. (Beets are ready when easily pierced with a knife.) Remove from oven, and let cool to room temperature.
- 3. Remove beets from foil. The skin should easily peel off with your fingers or a paring knife. To protect hands from getting stained, you may want to rub skin off with paper towels or wear gloves. (The spice marinade may have concentrated itself on parts of a beet. If so, gently scrape it off.) Cut beets into wedges, and arrange on 4 individual salad plates.
- 4. Place the yogurt, ginger, sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl; whisk to combine. If you prefer a thinner dressing, add a little water. Drizzle a bit of dressing on beets, wait a few minutes, and then drizzle some more; the beets will absorb the dressing. Garnish with cilantro, and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note