Toss beets in a tangy vinaigrette, serve on a bed of watercress, and accent with crisp cheese toasts. If desired, substitute arugula or baby spinach for the watercress.
Oxmoor House OCTOBER 2006
1. Drain beets, reserving liquid. Cut beets into julienne strips, and place in a bowl.
2. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in reserved beet juice and vinegar. Bring to a boil, and cook 12 minutes or until syrupy; pour over beets. Toss well. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 425°.
4. Spread each baguette slice with 1 teaspoon goat cheese, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon walnuts. Arrange slices in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat slices with cooking spray.
5. Bake at 425° for 5 minutes.
6. Arrange 1 cup watercress on each of 6 plates. Spoon about 1/2 cup beet mixture evenly over each serving. Top each serving with 2 toast slices.
Go to Full Version of