Beet Salad With Goat-Cheese Toasts
Toss beets in a tangy vinaigrette, serve on a bed of watercress, and accent with crisp cheese toasts. If desired, substitute arugula or baby spinach for the watercress.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 193
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 7.5g
- Carbohydrate: 26.4g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 471mg
- Calcium: 81mg
- 2 (15-ounce) cans sliced beets, undrained
- 2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced shallots (about 4)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 12 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) goat cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
- Cooking spray
- 6 cups trimmed watercress
- 1. Drain beets, reserving liquid. Cut beets into julienne strips, and place in a bowl.
- 2. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in reserved beet juice and vinegar. Bring to a boil, and cook 12 minutes or until syrupy; pour over beets. Toss well. Set aside.
- 3. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 4. Spread each baguette slice with 1 teaspoon goat cheese, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon walnuts. Arrange slices in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat slices with cooking spray.
- 5. Bake at 425° for 5 minutes.
- 6. Arrange 1 cup watercress on each of 6 plates. Spoon about 1/2 cup beet mixture evenly over each serving. Top each serving with 2 toast slices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads