- 2 (15-ounce) cans sliced beets, undrained
- 2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced shallots (about 4)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 12 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) goat cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
- Cooking spray
- 6 cups trimmed watercress
- calories 193
- caloriesfromfat 35 %
- fat 7.4 g
- satfat 2.4 g
- protein 7.5 g
- carbohydrate 26.4 g
- fiber 2.1 g
- cholesterol 7 mg
- iron 2.2 mg
- sodium 471 mg
- calcium 81 mg
How to Make It
Drain beets, reserving liquid. Cut beets into julienne strips, and place in a bowl.
Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in reserved beet juice and vinegar. Bring to a boil, and cook 12 minutes or until syrupy; pour over beets. Toss well. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 425°.
Spread each baguette slice with 1 teaspoon goat cheese, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon walnuts. Arrange slices in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat slices with cooking spray.
Bake at 425° for 5 minutes.
Arrange 1 cup watercress on each of 6 plates. Spoon about 1/2 cup beet mixture evenly over each serving. Top each serving with 2 toast slices.