- 4 medium beets (1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/4 cup mirin (rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups arugula, watercress or other greens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
How to Make It
Trim beets, leaving roots and 1" stems. Scrub beets with a vegetable brush. Place beets in a medium saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 to 40 minutes or until tender. Drain; rinse with cold water, and drain again. Trim stems and roots, and rub off skins. Cut beets into 1" pieces.
Combine minced shallot and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Add beets; toss. Cover and chill 1 hour.
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add curry powder, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 1 minute. Add walnuts, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
Toss greens in olive oil; divide among 6 plates. Top with beet salad and curried walnuts.