Notes: If you have a mandoline or a slicer, use the julienne attachment to cut the beets into slender, even matchsticks in step 1. You can make the salad up to 1 day ahead; cover and chill. Before serving, taste and add more rice vinegar if desired. Serve as a canapé topping with rye bread or crackers.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 31
- Calories from fat: 42%
- Protein: 0.8g
- Fat: 1.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrate: 4.2g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 32mg
- Cholesterol: 2.8mg
- 1 1/2 pounds beets (greens trimmed before weighing), rinsed
- About 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper
- About 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1. Place beets in an 8-inch square baking pan. Add 1/2 inch water. Cover pan tightly with foil and bake in a 375° regular or convection oven until beets are just tender when pierced, 45 to 60 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into matchstick-size strips (see notes).
- 2. In a bowl, combine beets and 1/3 cup sour cream and mix gently to coat; if you'd like your salad more moist, stir in a little more sour cream. Stir in dill and salt, pepper, and vinegar to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note