Notes: If you have a mandoline or a slicer, use the julienne attachment to cut the beets into slender, even matchsticks in step 1. You can make the salad up to 1 day ahead; cover and chill. Before serving, taste and add more rice vinegar if desired. Serve as a canapé topping with rye bread or crackers.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 31
- Calories from fat: 42%
- Protein: 0.8g
- Fat: 1.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrate: 4.2g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 32mg
- Cholesterol: 2.8mg
- 1 1/2 pounds beets (greens trimmed before weighing), rinsed
- About 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper
- About 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1. Place beets in an 8-inch square baking pan. Add 1/2 inch water. Cover pan tightly with foil and bake in a 375° regular or convection oven until beets are just tender when pierced, 45 to 60 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into matchstick-size strips (see notes).
- 2. In a bowl, combine beets and 1/3 cup sour cream and mix gently to coat; if you'd like your salad more moist, stir in a little more sour cream. Stir in dill and salt, pepper, and vinegar to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This