I gave this 5 stars because I made a lot of substitutions, I think without it wouldn't have been as good. I left out the chard, goat cheese and walnuts completely and put in butter, parmesean and mozzarella instead, as well I threw in a tbs. of garlic with the onions. I think without the substitutions the beets might have overpowered the risotto. I served this with CL potato crusted snapper with yellow pepper salsa.
Beet Risotto with Greens, Goat Cheese, and Walnuts
Randy Mayor; Melanie J. Clarke
Before you sauté the onion, toast the walnuts in the Dutch oven until they're fragrant. Cooking the beets along with the rice renders a beautiful burgundy color.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 412
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 13.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Protein: 14.1g
- Carbohydrate: 57.5g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 611mg
- Calcium: 92mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups finely chopped peeled beets
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can vegetable broth
- 6 cups finely sliced Swiss chard
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute 3 minutes. Add rice, ginger, and rosemary; saute 1 minute. Add wine; cook 3 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
- Add beets, water, salt, and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until beets are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in chard; cook 5 minutes. Add cheese, stirring until blended. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon walnuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables