This was great! It is good plain or you can use it mixed with a bag of salad mix. The cheese topping is a nice addition but the beets and onions are delicious without it if you are feeling like something a bit lighter.
Beet and Red Onion Salad with Ricotta-Provolone Topping
To avoid ruby-red hands, peel beets under running water. Prepare and chill the salad a day or two ahead to allow the flavors to meld. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes, and prepare cheese mixture and chop basil right before serving.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 159
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 7.2g
- Carbohydrate: 23.2g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 424mg
- Calcium: 135mg
- 2 1/2 pounds small beets
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 serrano chile, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) finely shredded sharp provolone cheese
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Leave root and 1 inch of stems on beets; scrub with a brush. Pierce each beet 2 times with a sharp knife. Place beets in a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag, and seal halfway. Microwave at HIGH 20 minutes or until tender, rotating bag every 5 minutes. Remove bag from microwave; cool to room temperature. Remove beets from bag; reserve liquid in bag. Peel beets, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Combine reserved liquid, vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add beets, onion, and serrano; toss gently to coat.
- Combine ricotta, provolone, and hot water, stirring well. Sprinkle salad with basil; top with cheese mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads