These are delicious. Made them for a party appetizer and they were popular.
Beet and Goat Cheese Crostini
Beets and goat cheese are the hot new couple. They're well-matched because of the beets' earthy sweetness and the cheese's mild tanginess. Short on time? Use canned pickled beets instead of fresh. Prepare the components of this tasty appetizer ahead, and assemble it at the last minute.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 127
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 3.8g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 5.2g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 297mg
- Calcium: 44mg
- 3/4 pound beets (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cheese spread:
- 1 (5-ounce) package goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 24 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare beets, leave root and 1 inch of stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place beets in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish; add 1 cup water to dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. Trim off beet roots; rub off skins. Cut beets lengthwise into quarters, and cut each quarter crosswise into 9 (1/8-inch) slices.
- In a medium bowl combine the vinegar, rind, juice, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beets; toss gently to coat.
- To prepare cheese spread, combine goat cheese, mayonnaise, tarragon, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and garlic in a small bowl. Spread each baguette slice with 1 teaspoon cheese mixture; top with 3 slightly overlapping slices of beet.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note