- 3/4 pound beets (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cheese spread:
- 1 (5-ounce) package goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 24 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette, toasted
- calories 127
- caloriesfromfat 27 %
- fat 3.8 g
- satfat 2 g
- monofat 0.9 g
- polyfat 0.3 g
- protein 5.2 g
- carbohydrate 18 g
- fiber 1.4 g
- cholesterol 6 mg
- iron 1.2 mg
- sodium 297 mg
- calcium 44 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°.
To prepare beets, leave root and 1 inch of stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place beets in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish; add 1 cup water to dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. Trim off beet roots; rub off skins. Cut beets lengthwise into quarters, and cut each quarter crosswise into 9 (1/8-inch) slices.
In a medium bowl combine the vinegar, rind, juice, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beets; toss gently to coat.
To prepare cheese spread, combine goat cheese, mayonnaise, tarragon, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and garlic in a small bowl. Spread each baguette slice with 1 teaspoon cheese mixture; top with 3 slightly overlapping slices of beet.