I wouldn't have tried this recipe if I didn't have just too much beets at home. So glad I tried it! These fritters are the best that could happen to beets! Much lighter than potato fritters. Slight change I made, I used 2 eggs instead of 1. Next time I may add a bit of garlic as well. I highly recommend it not only for beet lovers.
- 2 cups peeled, shredded beets (about 2/3 pound)*
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Sour cream
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a small mixing bowl; toss well.
- Pour oil to depth of 1/4 inch into a large heavy skillet; cook over medium-high heat until hot. Spoon 1/4 cup beet mixture into hot oil; flatten slightly. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until done. Drain on paper towels; top with sour cream.
- *Substitute 2 cups peeled, shredded rutabaga for beets.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables