Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Buffy Hargett Miller
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 10 Minutes
- 3 medium-size fresh beets
- 3 Ruby Red grapefruit
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups loosely packed arugula
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Trim beet stems to 1 inch; gently wash beets, and place in an 8-inch square pan. Add 1/4 cup water, and cover with aluminum foil. Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes or until tender. Uncover and cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- 2. Cut a 1/4-inch-thick slice from each end of grapefruit using a sharp, thin-bladed knife. Place, flat ends down, on a cutting board, and remove peel in strips, cutting from top to bottom following the curvature of fruit. Remove any remaining bitter white pith. Holding peeled grapefruit over a bowl, slice between membranes, and gently remove whole segments. Reserve 1/4 cup juice.
- 3. Whisk together olive oil, next 4 ingredients, and reserved 1/4 cup grapefruit juice in a bowl.
- 4. Peel beets, and slice into wedges. Arrange arugula on a large platter; top with grapefruit and beets. Drizzle with vinaigrette; sprinkle with pistachios. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads