Great salad, balanced and festive for holiday dinner menu. I used some shredded lettuce on top and Minute Miso for dressing.
Beet Carpaccio with Ginger-Miso Vinaigrette
Notes: To avoid staining your hands when preparing beets, wear rubber gloves. Gold-colored shiro miso (the same used for Japanese miso soup; also called light or white soybean paste) is available with ethnic foods in some supermarkets and in Asian grocery stores. You can make the vinaigrette and prepare the beets (steps 1 and 2) up to 1 day ahead; cover separately airtight and chill.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 84
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 1.7g
- Fat: 2.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sodium: 254mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 4 teaspoons shiro miso (see notes) or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons salad oil
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 beets (2 in. diameter, about 6 oz. each)
- 3 cups salad mix (1 1/2 oz. total), rinsed and crisped
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a small bowl, mix mustard with 4 teaspoons water until smooth; let stand 5 minutes. Whisk in lemon juice, honey, miso, oil, and ginger.
- 2. Trim and discard tops and root ends from beets. Scrub beets well, then pare peel with a vegetable peeler and discard. Using the vegetable peeler or a mandoline, slice beets paper thin. Arrange slices equally, slightly overlapping, in a ring on each of four salad plates.
- 3. In a bowl, mix 2 tablespoons ginger-miso vinaigrette with salad mix. Arrange greens equally in the center of beets. Drizzle remaining dressing over beets. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This