Colorful red or yellow beets anchor this striking Beet Carpaccio salad that's topped with argula and Parmesan.
More From Coastal Living
Cool: 1 Hour
- 3 red or yellow beets, peeled
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved
- 1 to 3 cups baby arugula
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1. Slice beets paper thin to 1/8-inch thick with a mandolin or very sharp knife.
- 2. Combine sugar, vinegar, ginger, and 1/3 cup water in a nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 3 to 5 minutes. Remove ginger.
- 3. Add beets to vinegar mixture, and bring to a boil. Cook 30 seconds (for paper thin slices) or 3 minutes (for 1/8-inch slices) or until beets are tender but still hold their shape. Remove pan from heat; allow beets to cool to room temperature in the liquid. Drain beets, reserving liquid. Place beets into a jar; cover with 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- 4. Bring remaining cooking liquid to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until mixture thickens and reduces to 1/2 cup. Cool; cover and chill until ready to serve.
- 5. Place beets on a serving platter in a single layer. Top with cheese and arugula. Whisk together chilled liquid, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle beets with dressing to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note