The taste of beet comes through in a pleasant way. Very interesting cake! In the frosting, I cut the powdered sugar to 2 cups, but it was still very sweet. Next time I would use 2/3 cup as others recommended for this amount of cream cheese, and actually, I would simply cut the amount of frosting to half altogether.
Beet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This beet cake recipe is similar to one for carrot cake but with a bright red batter that bakes to a golden brown. You may want to wear an apron while grating the beets because they tend to splatter.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 312
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 10.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Carbohydrate: 51.2g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 34mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 198mg
- Calcium: 65mg
- 1 pound beets (about 2 medium)
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, chilled
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, peel beets using a vegetable peeler. Grate beets, using the large holes of a grater, to measure 2 cups.
- Coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray.
- Combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, and eggs in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well-blended. Add beets; beat well. Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pans; sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire racks; remove from pans. Carefully peel off wax paper, and cool cake completely on wire racks.
- To prepare frosting, beat orange rind, vanilla, and cream cheese with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar; beat at low speed just until blended (do not overbeat).
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting; top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle nuts over top of cake. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts