We shaved minutes off the cook time of this meatless main-dish salad by microwaving the beets. Traditional cooking methods, such as baking, boiling, steaming, and roasting, can require 45 minutes or longer.
Oxmoor House MARCH 2010
1. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in bulgur. Cover, remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Rinse with cold water; drain.
2. While water for bulgur comes to a boil, place beet on a plate; cover with 3 layers of damp paper towels. Microwave at HIGH 6 minutes or until tender.
3. While beet cooks, peel oranges; cut crosswise into thin wagon wheelshaped slices.
4. Cut beet in half lengthwise. Turn beet halves, cut side down, and cut into thin half moonshaped slices; place in a bowl. Add 3 tablespoons Parsley Vinaigrette; toss until coated.
5. Stir remaining vinaigrette into bulgur. Spoon bulgur evenly onto each of 4 serving plates. Top evenly with beets and orange slices; sprinkle with cheese and parsley, if desired.
shortcut kitchen tip To quickly remove the peel from an orange, cut a thin slice from the top and bottom of the orange so the fruit will stand upright. Stand the orange vertically on the cutting board. Using a sharp knife, remove the skin in 1/2-inch slices. Be sure to remove the white pith, which can be very bitter.
Go to full version of