I changed the recipe -where I live, I can't find kumquat or blood orange, so I use navel orange and pear or apple. I also sautéed some chopped onion and/or zucchini or portabello mushroom. Mix it with the rest of ingredients, and sprinkle with crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese. It is great for dinner on my meatless days!
Beet, Blood Orange, Kumquat, and Quinoa Salad
This hearty grain salad featuring blood orange sections, beets, kumquats and avocado is brimming with rich colors, textures, and nutrients from the vitamin- and protein-packed ingredients.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 442
- Fat: 20.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 12.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 9.1g
- Carbohydrate: 58g
- Fiber: 10.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 486mg
- Calcium: 117mg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons grated blood orange rind
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons blood orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup blood orange sections, chopped (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup diced peeled avocado
- 6 whole kumquats, seeded and sliced
- 2 medium beets, cooked and cut into wedges
- 1. To prepare dressing, combine first 10 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Set aside.
- 2. To prepare salad, place quinoa in a fine sieve, and place sieve in a large bowl. Cover quinoa with water. Using your hands, rub grains together for 30 seconds; rinse and drain. Repeat procedure twice. Drain well.
- 3. Combine 1 3/4 cups water, quinoa, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork. Combine quinoa, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, blood orange sections, avocado, and kumquats in a large bowl, tossing gently to combine. Add dressing; toss gently to coat salad. Spoon 1 cup salad onto each of 4 plates; top each serving with about 1/2 cup beets.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note