Beet and Beet Green Soup with Shrimp
Yield: 4 to 6
- 2 pounds medium beets with their greens
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, shells reserved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 medium celery ribs, diced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon salt or citric salt
- 1. Cut the greens off the beets and discard the tough stems. Roughly chop the leaves and tender stems. In a medium saucepan, cover the beets with the water and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the beets are tender, about 45 minutes. Strain the beet-cooking liquid into a large bowl. Transfer the beets to a plate and let cool, then peel and coarsely grate them on a box grater.
- 2. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the shrimp shells, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the shells start to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until glossy, about 2 minutes. Add the beet liquid and bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes, skimming occasionally.
- 3. Strain the broth into a large saucepan. Add the onions, celery, beet greens and grated beets and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the celery and onions are very tender, about 25 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer until just cooked through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let stand for a few minutes.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, dill, garlic and lemon salt. Stir the sour cream into the soup, season with pepper and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews