One-star reviewers: if you based your review on the taste/texture of the dip right out of the mixer, it's horrible. It needs time in the fridge to come together and then it is truly delicious and spreadable. And ditto what lisam29 said about not using pre-shredded cheese; that will ruin it. If you find the beer taste too strong with an amber beer, just use something simple, like Miller Lite. Seriously, give it another chance!!
Serve this spicy beer-cheese spread with crackers for a tasty game-day appetizer, or spread on buttered bread and cook in a nonstick skillet for a twist on the traditional grilled cheese sandwich.
This recipe goes with Grilled Beer-Cheese Sandwich
More From Southern Living
Chill: 2 Hours
- 1 (2-lb.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle amber beer, at room temperature
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: thyme sprig
- 1. Beat together first 5 ingredients at low speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until blended. Gradually add beer, beating until blended after each addition. Beat at medium-high speed 1 minute or until blended and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill 2 hours. Garnish, if desired. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Abita Amber Beer. This spread can be frozen up to 1 month; thaw overnight in refrigerator.
- Grilled Beer-Cheese Sandwich: Spread 1 tsp. softened butter evenly on 1 side of 2 bread slices. Place bread slices, buttered sides down, on wax paper. Spread 1/4 cup Beer-Cheese Spread onto 1 side of 1 bread slice. Top with remaining bread slice, buttered side up. Cook sandwich in a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
This recipe makes a lot, but it can be frozen for up to a month. It fits perfectly into 4 (10-oz.) ramekins. Try it over French fries, hot dogs, and chili too.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note