Beer Cheese Soup 2
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- Beer Cheese Soup
- Yield: serves 4-6
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 1/2 red pepper, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups of your favorite beer (I find that lighter wheat beers work best)
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 ounces sharp white cheddar, freshly grated
- 4 ounces extra sharp yellow cheddar, freshly grated
- 4 ounces colby jack, freshly grated
- fresh herbs (I like cilantro) for garnish
- salt and pepper to season if needed
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat and add chopped bacon. Fry until crispy and fat is rendered, them remove bacon with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain. Reduce heat to low and add onions, peppers and garlic, stirring to coat. Cook for about 10 minutes, until vegetables are translucent, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high and add in butter. Once sizzling, which in flour and cook for 3-4 minutes until flour is nutty and golden. Add in beer and stirring constantly, cook for 5 minutes so they alcohol cooks out and the mixture somewhat thickens.
- Add in half and half, then reduce heat to low and gradually add cheese while stirring. Stir until smooth, then fold in bacon and serve immediately. Garnish fresh chopped herbs over top if desired.
- [Because any cheese soup can get "gloppy" after it sits, I suggest making this as close to serving time if possible. If the mixture gets too thick, add a bit more liquid (beer, milk, broth) and stir over low heat. That is also how I recommend re-heating the soup as well.]
- [this soup is adapted from my aunt's cheese soup]
This recipe is a personal recipe added by dwanna and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Beer Cheese Soup 2 Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews