- 2 cups beer
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup raisins
How to Make It
Pour beer into a small bowl; let stand, uncovered, at room temperature overnight.
Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Combine 2 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices; add to creamed mixture alternately with beer, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix well after each addition.
Dredge pecans and raisins in remaining 1/2 cup flour; stir to coat well. Stir into batter.
Pour batter into 2 greased 9- x 5- x 3-inch loaf pans. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes. Increase temperature to 350° and bake an additional 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.