Absolutely delicious! I followed the recipe exactly as written and served the brisket over egg noodles. My family loved it. 2.5 lb of meat were plenty for our family of 5.
Serve this deliciously rich beef over mashed potatoes or egg noodles. Leftover brisket makes tasty sandwiches.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 5 Hours, 45 Minutes
- Calories: 253
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 30.2g
- Carbohydrate: 12.6g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 52mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 674mg
- Calcium: 64mg
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 1/2 pounds flat-cut beef brisket, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups pale ale
- 4 cups lower-sodium beef broth
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 carrots, cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 celery stalks, cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, each cut into 12 wedges
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2. Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl; stir in 1 teaspoon salt. Rub spice mixture evenly over both sides of brisket. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add brisket; sauté 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove brisket from pan. Add beer; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add broth and garlic; return to a boil. Return brisket to pan. Cover and cook at 325° for 2 hours. Turn brisket over; cook an additional 2 hours. Turn brisket over. Add carrot, celery, and onion; cook an additional 1 hour or until brisket is very tender.
- 3. Remove brisket and vegetables from pan using a slotted spoon. Skim fat from cooking liquid; discard fat. Bring cooking liquid to a boil over medium-high heat. Place flour in a small bowl; stir in 1/2 cup water. Add flour mixture to pan, stirring until smooth; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Serve the sauce with beef and vegetables.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note