I was so excited to try this recipe because I was looking for new beef recipes and I had never made a brisket before. It smelled so good while it was cooking but I was very disappointed in the final product - the meat itself didn't have much flavor, and the sauce pretty much tasted like lime. Also, almost all of the liquid cooked off within the first four hours and I had to keep adding water for the remainder of the cooking time. I think next time I'll have my husband smoke a brisket in his smoker instead.
Beer-Braised Brisket with Honey-Lime Glaze
Photo: José Picayo; Styling: Jocelyne Beaudoin
To make ahead, prepare through step 2, cool slightly, and chill. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, and proceed with step 3.
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces beef and 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 224
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 28.3g
- Carbohydrate: 9.8g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 191mg
- Calcium: 23mg
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 (5-pound) flat-cut beef brisket, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups dark beer
- 2 cups chopped carrot
- 1 cup vertically sliced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup no-salt-added ketchup
- 1 teaspoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 20 cilantro sprigs
- 10 thyme sprigs
- 6 orange rind strips
- 6 lemon rind strips
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 apple, cored and cut into 6 wedges
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2. Heat oil in a heavy roasting pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef with 3/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Add beef to pan; cook 15 minutes, browning on both sides. Drain oil from pan. Add water and next 14 ingredients (through cinnamon). Bring to a boil; cover with foil, and bake at 325° for 4 hours. Remove beef from pan, reserving cooking liquid. Strain liquid through a sieve into a bowl, and skim fat from surface. Return liquid and beef to pan.
- 3. Cook beef, uncovered, at 325° for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is fork-tender, basting occasionally. Remove beef from pan, reserving cooking liquid; cover and keep warm.
- 4. Place a large zip-top plastic bag inside a bowl. Pour cooking liquid into bag. Carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag, and drain liquid into a medium saucepan, stopping before fat layer reaches opening. Discard fat. Cook the liquid over medium-high heat until reduced to about 1 cup. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, honey, and lime juice. Cut beef diagonally across grain into thin slices; serve with sauce. Sprinkle evenly with chopped cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes