Beefy Vidalia Onion Soup
- 1 pound top sirloin, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 6 large Vidalia or sweet onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 6 (10 3/4-ounce) cans condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Baguette slices
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mild Swiss cheese
- Dredge beef in 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour.
- Brown beef in hot oil in a large Dutch oven, and remove from pan. Wipe pan clean.
- Melt butter in Dutch oven; add onion, and saute until tender. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon flour, and stir gently. Add beef, broth, and red wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 35 to 40 minutes.
- Ladle into ovenproof soup bowls; top each with a baguette slice, and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Place bowls on baking sheets.
- Broil 5 inches from heat (with electric oven door partially open) until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews