- 1 pound top sirloin, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 6 large Vidalia or sweet onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 6 (10 3/4-ounce) cans condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Baguette slices
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mild Swiss cheese
How to Make It
Dredge beef in 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour.
Brown beef in hot oil in a large Dutch oven, and remove from pan. Wipe pan clean.
Melt butter in Dutch oven; add onion, and saute until tender. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon flour, and stir gently. Add beef, broth, and red wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 35 to 40 minutes.
Ladle into ovenproof soup bowls; top each with a baguette slice, and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Place bowls on baking sheets.
Broil 5 inches from heat (with electric oven door partially open) until cheese melts. Serve immediately.