- 1 (3- to 3 1/2-lb.) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 (14.5-oz.) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti (optional)
How to Make It
Sprinkle roast evenly with 1 tsp. salt. Cook roast in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
Combine minced garlic, remaining 1 tsp. salt, and next 8 ingredients in a 6-qt. slow cooker; gently add roast.
Cook, covered, on HIGH 6 hours or until roast is very tender. Remove roast from slow cooker, and shred using 2 forks. Skim off any fat from tomato sauce, if desired, and return shredded meat to sauce. Serve over hot cooked spaghetti, if desired.
Note: Freeze spaghetti sauce in airtight containers for up to 6 weeks, if desired.