The flavor of the steak makes this incredible! I would prefer it a bit thicker - so might add some corn to the mix - as well as a couple of jalapenos!
Beefy Black Bean Stew
Yield: Makes 4 qt.
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 20 Minutes
- 1 (1 3/4- to 2-lb.) flank steak
- 1 (32-oz.) container beef broth, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 (15-oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28-oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (12-oz.) dark beer
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Toppings: fresh cilantro sprigs, sour cream, shredded Mexican cheese blend, tortilla chips
- Lime wedges
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Cut beef into 1-inch strips. Line bottom and sides of a 13- x 9-inch pan with aluminum foil, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides. Place beef in a single layer in pan. Pour 1 cup beef broth over beef. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- 2. Bake at 400° 1 hour or until beef is shreddable. Remove beef from pan, reserving drippings. Shred beef with 2 forks.
- 3. Sauté onion and next 5 ingredients in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in shredded beef, reserved pan drippings, beans, next 4 ingredients, and remaining beef broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes. Serve with desired toppings and lime wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This