Quite good. Halving the recipe still makes for 4 good servings. You can economize your time by prepping the veggies while the meat and soup base are simmering for 35 minutes.
Beef and Vegetable Soup (Cocido)
Cocido, a Spanish beef and vegetable soup, is chock full of boneless sirloin steak, fire-roasted tomatoes, green chiles, potatoes, chayote squash, and carrots.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 243
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 21.1g
- Carbohydrate: 24.9g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 607mg
- Calcium: 51mg
- 2 tablespoons achiote paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds boneless sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained (such as Muir Glen)
- 4 cups cubed peeled baking potato
- 3 cups cubed peeled chayote squash
- 2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) slices carrot
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Combine first 7 ingredients, stirring with a fork until mixture resembles coarse meal; sprinkle 1 1/2 tablespoons achiote mixture evenly over beef, tossing to coat. Set remaining achiote mixture aside.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef mixture; cook 2 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove beef from pan. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add remaining achiote mixture; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Return beef mixture to pan. Stir in broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes. Add potato, chayote, and carrot; cover and simmer 35 minutes or until potato is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar.
When handling achiote paste, wear gloves to avoid staining your hands. If you can't find chayote, use summer squash instead.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note