I wanted to find a use for some leftovers: chuck roast, beef broth and crushed tomatoes, and this recipe fit the bill. I only had about 1/3 lb beef, so I added a cup of chickpeas. Also, I substituted frozen peas for the mixed vegetables and substituted the chuck roast, chickpeas and crushed tomatoes for the ground beef and tomato sauce. Don't skip the soy sauce and molasses - they add depth of flavor to the soup, although I only used 1/2 TBSP soy sauce and 1/2 TBSP sweet chili sauce because I didn't have molasses. I also thought the soup was a little thick, so I added more beef broth to make it soupier. I served it with some leftover lavash. My husband and I thought it was great weeknight meal.
Beef Vegetable Soup
- 1 pound(s) ground beef
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped onion
- 1 15-ounce can(s) tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cup(s) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 1/4 cup(s) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 1/4 cup(s) beef broth
- 1 tablespoon(s) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon(s) molasses
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note