- 2 teaspoons butter or stick margarine, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 3 cups cremini or button mush-room caps, halved (about 1/2 pound)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 (4-ounce) beef tenderloin steaks (1 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 4 (1-ounce) slices French bread (about 1 inch thick), toasted
- calories 326
- caloriesfromfat 29 %
- fat 10.6 g
- satfat 4.4 g
- monofat 3.8 g
- polyfat 0.8 g
- protein 31.5 g
- carbohydrate 25.4 g
- fiber 2.8 g
- cholesterol 75 mg
- iron 5.7 mg
- sodium 808 mg
- calcium 60 mg
How to Make It
Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in water and consomme, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cover and cook 10 minutes. Remove onion mixture from pan.
Combine thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Rub the thyme mixture over steaks. Melt 1 teaspoon butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add steaks; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove steaks from pan; keep warm.
Add wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in onion mixture; bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute. Return steaks to pan; simmer 1 minute.
Place one toast slice in each of 4 shallow serving bowls, and top each slice with steak. Spoon the onion mixture over each serving. Serve immediately.