This was really good! Very unique flavors. I could not find crema Mexicana and creme fraiche was out of my budget for 1 recipe so I used plain old sour cream and it tasted great!
Beef Tenderloin, Swiss Chard, and Caramelized Fennel Tacos
More From Cooking Light
Total: 50 Minutes
- Calories: 315
- Fat: 10.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 23.4g
- Carbohydrate: 31.8g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 455mg
- Calcium: 150mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced fennel
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) beef tenderloin steak
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups thinly sliced Swiss chard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 fresh corn tortillas (such as El Milagro)
- 8 teaspoons crema Mexicana
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add fennel, onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cover; cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until fennel mixture begins to brown, stirring occasionally. Uncover; cook 10 minutes or until mixture is golden and caramelized. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- 2. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, white pepper, coriander, and red pepper in a small bowl. Rub mixture evenly over beef. Wipe skillet clean with a paper towel; return skillet to medium-high heat. Lightly coat beef with cooking spray; add to pan. Cook 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes; thinly slice.
- 3. Combine Swiss chard and lemon juice, tossing to coat.
- 4. Working with 1 tortilla at a time, toast tortillas in a pan or over the flame of a gas burner until tender and blackened in spots. Arrange 1/4 cup chard mixture in center of 1 tortilla; top with about 1 ounce beef and 2 tablespoons fennel mixture. Repeat with remaining tortillas, chard mixture, beef, and fennel mixture. Top each with 1 teaspoon crema.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note