Delicious! I made it for a classy Christmas dinner party and it was a hit. Because I was traveling with it, I mixed the meat and mango salsa together and it still tasted great. One note if you do this, don't overcook your meat since the acid from the lime juice will cook it further. I nixed the turmeric and used ground mustard instead of popping seeds--it's easier and still tasted wonderful. Also used a cheaper cut of loin rather than a filet. A great appetizer.
Beef Tenderloin Bruschetta with Brown Butter
Use sound to judge when the mustard seeds are ready. As with microwave popcorn, when a second of time passes between pops, the seeds are done.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 2 bruschetta)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 88
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 2.8g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 4.4g
- Carbohydrate: 12.1g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 216mg
- Calcium: 5mg
- 1/2 cup diced mango
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped serrano chile
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Cooking spray
- 1 (4-ounce) beef tenderloin steak, trimmed (1 inch thick)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 16 (1/4-ounce) diagonal slices French bread baguette, toasted (1/2 inch thick)
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl; cover and let stand at room temperature 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 mustard seed to pan; cook until seed pops (about 90 seconds). Add remaining seeds; stir to coat with oil. Cover and cook seeds for 30 seconds or until they begin to pop, gently shaking the pan. Stir in butter and cover. Cook until 1 second passes between pops, shaking pan constantly (about 30 seconds). Remove from heat. Scrape mustard seed mixture into mango mixture; stir gently. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle beef with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add beef to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let rest 5 minutes. Slice across the grain into very thin slices.
- Divide beef slices evenly among baguette slices. Top each bruschetta with 1 1/2 teaspoons mango mixture. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This