The only change I made was to make half a recipe since there are only 2 of us. This stew had good flavor and was easy. Hardest part was finding the canned tomatillos, but found them at a local Mexican grocery story. Will definitely make again.
Beef Stew with Poblanos, Tomatillos, and Potatoes
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 385
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 12.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 27.9g
- Carbohydrate: 38.7g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- Iron: 4.5mg
- Sodium: 597mg
- Calcium: 84mg
- 2 poblano chiles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 2 pounds lean beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (12-ounce) pale Mexican beer (such as Corona)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper (about 1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatillos, drained and crushed
- 1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth
- 6 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled white potato (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled queso fresco
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Preheat broiler.
- Place poblano chiles on a foil-lined baking sheet; broil 10 minutes or until blackened and charred, turning chiles occasionally. Place in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel chiles; cut in half lengthwise. Discard seeds and membranes. Chop chiles; set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 10 minutes or until onion is tender and golden brown. Spoon onion into a large bowl.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Dredge beef in flour, shaking off excess. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add half of beef mixture; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Add browned beef to onion. Repeat procedure with remaining beef mixture and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Add beer to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add chopped chiles, 2 cups water, pepper, oregano, cumin, garlic, tomatillos, and beef broth; bring to a simmer. Stir in the beef mixture. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is just tender.
- Stir in potato. Simmer, uncovered, 50 minutes or until beef and potato are very tender and sauce is thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Ladle 1 1/3 cups stew into each of 8 bowls; sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes