Beef Stew with Fennel Gremolata
Gremolata, a garnish for meat dishes, is traditionally made with chopped parsley, garlic, and lemon rind. This variation substitutes fennel fronds for the parsley, sliced fennel bulb in place of the garlic, and orange rind in place of lemon. Serve over mashed potatoes.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 271
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 23.4g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 7.5g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 652mg
- Calcium: 97mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds eye-of-round roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb (about 2 small bulbs)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups (1-inch) diagonally cut carrot (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 orange rind strips
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can beef broth
- 2 1/2 cups (1-inch) diagonally cut parsnip (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fennel bulb
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fennel fronds or fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- To prepare stew, heat a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan.
- Add 2 cups fennel bulb, bell pepper, onion, and garlic to pan; reduce heat to medium, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beef, carrot, and next 9 ingredients (carrot through broth). Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add parsnip; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally.
- To prepare gremolata, combine 1/2 cup fennel bulb, fennel fronds, and grated orange rind in a small bowl.
- Spoon 1 1/3 cups stew into each of 6 bowls; top each with 1 1/2 tablespoons gremolata.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note