Beef Stew with Corn and Fennel
Instead of the usual potatoes and carrots, this beef stew recipe features whole-kernel corn, fennel and mushrooms. If you don't want to use red wine, replace it with addtional beef broth.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 211
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 27.3g
- Carbohydrate: 14.1g
- Cholesterol: 64mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 285mg
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Calcium: 46mg
- 1(14.5-ounce) can low-salt beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean boneless top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups vertically sliced fennel (about 2 medium bulbs)
- 1 large onion, sliced vertically (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 (8-ounce) package button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
- Fennel sprigs (optional)
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Heat a Dutch oven over high heat until hot; add oil. Add beef; cook 4 minutes or until browned on all sides, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-high; add fennel, onion, and mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth mixture; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Combine flour and water in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. Stir flour mixture into beef mixture. Add corn. Cover and simmer 8 minutes. Garnish with fennel sprigs, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This