Photo: Kate Sears; Styling: Elizabeth Blake
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 474
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Protein: 26g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
- Sodium: 669mg
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into large chunks
- 1 pound red-skinned potatoes, cut in half
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced, seeded canned chipotle chili
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes with chilies, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1. Place flour in a large ziplock bag. Add 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, cumin and chili powder; seal bag and shake. Add meat and shake to coat (work in batches if needed).
- 2. Warm 2 Tbsp. oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of meat, shaking off excess flour mixture. Brown on all sides for 5 minutes total. Transfer to a slow cooker. Repeat with remaining meat. Discard all but 1 Tbsp. flour mixture. Add carrots, parsnips and potatoes to slow cooker.
- 3. Add 1 Tbsp. oil to skillet; sauté onion for 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Sprinkle reserved flour over onion mixture; stir. Add chipotle and tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring. Stir in broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into slow cooker and stir.
- 4. Cover; cook on low until meat and vegetables are tender, 7 to 8 hours. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews