- 1 1/2 pounds round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 whole allspice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1/4 pound beef liver
- 12 saltine crackers
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
How to Make It
Combine meat, tomatoes, onion, carrot, celery, allspice, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and water in a small Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 3 hours. Remove from heat; cool.
Strain broth, reserving meat and vegetables for other uses, if desired. Cover broth, and refrigerate overnight. Skim off and discard fat; strain broth through several layers of damp cheesecloth. Return broth to Dutch oven, and set aside.
Grind liver and crackers together; place in a small mixing bowl. Add eggs, flour, remaining salt, and pepper, mixing until well blended. Bring broth to a boil. Drop liver dumpling mixture by 1/2 teaspoonfuls into boiling broth. Cook 1 minute.
Ladle broth and dumplings into warm soup bowls, and serve immediately.