I really liked this, however, my husband did not like the citrus.
This rich Malay curry features aromatic lemongrass, garlic, ginger, and cinnamon. Make sure the beef mixture cooks at a low simmer so the sauce doesn't scorch and the meat slowly becomes tender. If you can't find unsweetened coconut, use sweetened flaked coconut and omit the added sugar.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 449
- Fat: 14.6g
- Saturated fat: 10.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 27.4g
- Carbohydrate: 51.5g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 784mg
- Calcium: 30mg
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced peeled ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 5 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 to 2 serrano chiles, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk, divided
- 2/3 cup flaked unsweetened coconut, toasted
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 (3-inch) fresh lemongrass stalks, crushed
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups hot cooked basmati rice
- 1. Place first 9 ingredients in a food processor or mini chopper. Add 1/4 cup coconut milk; process until smooth. Spoon mixture into a bowl; set aside.
- 2. Place 3 tablespoons coconut milk and flaked coconut in food processor; process until a smooth paste forms.
- 3. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallot mixture; cook 1 minute or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining coconut milk, rind, and next 5 ingredients (through broth); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally. Discard lemongrass. Stir in flaked coconut mixture; simmer 10 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Serve over rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note