Beef ragu over spaghetti squash
Community Recipe from
- Spaghetti squash
- Beef Ragù Over Spaghetti Squash with Garlic Bread
- by Liz Pearson
- read reviews (4)
- Here, spaghetti squash is used like pasta to delicious effect, and a quick garlic bread rounds out the meal.
- Serves 4
- Get a quick and delicious recipe every day with our
- FREE Make it Tonight newsletter
- spaghetti squash
- 1/4 baguette, halved lengthwise
- 1-1/2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- 6 medium cloves garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small (2-1/2-lb.) spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- One 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Arrange the bread cut side up on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush it with the butter. Peel and chop the garlic. Divide the garlic in half and sprinkle one-half with a generous pinch of salt. Using the flat side of a chef’s knife, mince and mash the garlic and salt together to form a smooth paste. Spread each piece of bread evenly with garlic paste and season with salt and pepper. Bake until light golden-brown and crisp, 12 to 14 minutes. Cut each piece in half to make 4 pieces total, and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, arrange the spaghetti squash in a single layer in the bottom of a large, wide pot. (Don’t worry if the squash halves don’t lie completely flat in the pot.) Add 1/2 inch of water, cover the pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the squash is tender enough to shred when raked with a fork but still somewhat crisp, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the squash to a plate and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- While the squash cooks, heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef, the remaining chopped garlic, onion, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper; cook, stirring to break up the meat, until just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain and discard the fat if necessary. Add the tomatoes, basil, and 1/4 cup water; stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- With a fork, rake the squash flesh into strands, transfer to plates, and season to taste with salt. Ladle the beef ragù over the squash and garnish with the Parmigiano. Serve with the garlic bread.
- serving suggestions
- Along with the garlic bread, serve with a Mixed Green Salad.
- nutrition information (per serving):
- Calories (kcal): 370; Fat (g): 19; Fat Calories (kcal): 170; Saturated Fat (g): 8; Protein (g): 26; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 8; Carbohydrates (g): 27; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 1.5; Sodium (mg): 410; Cholesterol (mg): 80; Fiber (g): 6;
This recipe is a personal recipe added by sarahshaeffer and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Beef ragu over spaghetti squash Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes
More Recipes for Main Dishes