this recipe was pretty flavorless and the veggies since they are frozen are mushy by the time you reheat them in the oven, and also get worse as you microwave leftovers. I did like the idea of cutting biscuits in half to make the crust to save some calories.
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 293
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 23.4g
- Carbohydrate: 37.6g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 59mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 778mg
- Calcium: 91mg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can beef broth, undiluted
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound 93% ultra-lean ground beef
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen New England-style sweet peas, potatoes, and carrots, thawed
- 1 (6-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- Combine the first 3 ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Gradually add water and next 2 ingredients, stirring with a wire whisk until blended; set aside.
- Cook the onion and beef in a large saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble; drain in a colander.
- Return beef mixture to pan. Add parsley and next 5 ingredients; stir well. Add broth mixture; cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Carefully split biscuits in half horizontally, and place over beef mixture. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until biscuits are lightly browned.
- Make-Ahead Tips: You can assemble the casserole ahead of time, without thawing the frozen vegetable and omitting the biscuits; cover and freeze. Thaw frozen casserole overnight in refrigerator; let stand at room temperture 30 minutes. Top with biscuits; bake as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note