Great alternative to traditional pot roast! I loved all the flavors in this slow cooker pot roast; especially the turnip greens! Even my husband (who was very suspect of the green leafy pieces in his pot roast dish) enjoyed the greens in this one. I included some carrots, a whole spanish onion (chopped) in lieu of the cipolini and used a whole container of tomato paste. I only floured one side of the beef (mistake, but didn't notice any issues in final product) and slow roasted the whole 8 hours. The meat fell apart so easily and all the veggies really made this a hearty, but delicious meal! Since all the veggies are in season and it's cold out, this is a wonderful winter roast dish. I would absolutely make this again; Enjoy!
Beef Pot Roast with Turnip Greens
Cipollini onions are small, flat Italian onions. If you can't find them, substitute pearl onions. Other large full-flavored greens like mustard greens or kale will work, as well.
More From Cooking Light
8 Hours, 38 Minutes
- Calories: 424
- Fat: 21.3g
- Saturated fat: 8.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 33g
- Carbohydrate: 23.5g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 348mg
- Calcium: 90mg
- 3.4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 (3-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fresh turnip greens, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups (2-inch) diagonally cut parsnips (about 1 pound)
- 3 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups cipollini onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
- 1. Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle beef evenly with salt and pepper; dredge in flour. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add beef; sauté 10 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Place turnip greens in a 6-quart electric slow cooker; top with parsnips, potatoes, and onions. Transfer beef to slow cooker. Add tomato paste to skillet; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in wine and broth; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour broth mixture into slow cooker.
- 2. Place peppercorns and next 4 ingredients (through parsley) on a double layer of cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheesecloth together; secure with twine. Add cheesecloth bundle to slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender. Discard cheesecloth bundle. Remove roast from slow cooker; slice. Serve with vegetable mixture and cooking liquid. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note