Beef Pot Pie
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon(s) whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon(s) bacon grease
- 2 cup(s) milk
- 1.5 tablespoon(s) Gravy Master
- 1 pound(s) stew beef
- 2 can(s) carrots
- 2 whole(s) baking potatoes
- 1 package(s) frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon(s) garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) onion powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) herb de provence
- 1 tablespoon(s) dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon(s) black pepper
- 2 package(s) pie shells
- 1 block(s) havarti cheese
- 1 whole(s) egg, well beaten
- 1. Preheat your oven to 275 degrees. Begin by melting the butter and bacon grease at medium high heat in a dutch oven. The bacon grease is entirely optional but if you choose to exclude it add an additional tablespoon of butter. Add two tablespoons of the whole wheat flour. Once the fat is melted, add in the milk and Gravy Master. Whisk until thickened. Coat beef tips lightly in the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour and drop in the thickened gravy along with all of the spices. I use my 4 quart dutch oven from Lodge for this recipe because it heats very evenly. Bake in the oven for 3-4 hours with the lid on. This can also be done in a crock pot on low heat all day.
- 2. Remove from the oven and return to the stove. At this point I dig out the beef tips and put them in a bowl cutting them up with meat scissors in to small bites. Turn heat on low and whisk to combine the gravy (after cooking for 4 hours you have created your own bouillon of sorts and it needs to be incorporated into the gravy). Add the carrots and cooked peas.
- 3. Stab both baking potatoes with a fork and wrap in moist paper towels. Cook in the microwave until soft to the touch, about 4 minutes. You want them to still be a bit firm. Hard chop the cooked potatoes and gently incorporate them into the gravy. The potatoes need to go in last so they don't fall to pieces when stirring.
- 4. Pour mixture in to your pie crust until just below the top. You don't want it to go too high or it will bubble over in the oven.
- 5. Place the Havarti cheese on top of the beef mixture.
- 6. Place the second crust and brush on a beaten egg to make the crust golden brown and flaky.
- 8. Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes rotating once to make sure it browns evenly. Let it set out of the oven for 10 minutes before serving.
- View more recipes here:
This recipe is a personal recipe added by lansingal and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note