Easy preparation with wonderful depth of flavor.
Beef-and-Black-eyed Pea Chili
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
- 2 pounds ground chili meat
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (16-oz.) package frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle dark beer
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (4.5-oz.) can chopped green chiles
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Toppings: pickled jalapeño pepper slices, shredded Cheddar cheese, pico de gallo
- 1. Cook first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often, 8 to 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Cook chili powder and cumin in hot olive oil in Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant. Add tomato paste, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, next 7 ingredients, and beef mixture; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes. Serve with desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews