I wouldn't change anything about this recipe. Whole family, including my 10 month old, loved it. All of the bits were soft enough for her to pick up & chew.
Braised Beef with Onion, Sweet Potato, and Parsnip
Revamp classic pot roast with parsnip and sweet potatoes.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 2 Hours, 10 Minutes
- Calories: 369
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 28.5g
- Carbohydrate: 31g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 440mg
- Calcium: 68mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (1-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
- 1 (1/2-inch-thick) diagonally cut parsnip
- 1 (3/4-inch-thick) diagonally cut carrot
- 12 ounces diced peeled sweet potato
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; swirl. Sprinkle beef with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 10 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes. Add tomato paste and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add beef and broth; bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours.
- 3. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon oil, parsnip, carrot, sweet potato, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper on a foil-lined jelly-roll pan; toss to coat. Place pan on bottom rack in oven; bake at 325° for 50 minutes, stirring once.
- 4. Cut beef across grain into slices. Return Dutch oven to medium-high heat; cook sauce 5 minutes. Place 1/2 cup vegetables in each of 4 shallow bowls; top with 3 ounces beef and 1/4 cup sauce.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note