Don't let the name fool you. The flavor of this sauce is subtle--not oniony at all.
Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups
More From Southern Living
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14-ounce) can beef broth
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add onion, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Whisk in flour. Cook, whisking constantly, until lightly browned (about 1 minute). Gradually whisk in broth and next 2 ingredients. Cook, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note