Great flavor. We've made this several times. We subbed chunks of onion in place of the shallots and that worked too. I had never tried grilled okra, and it was surprisingly good. We tripled it for a party and had everything marinating the night before - it was easy to skewer and grill with people over the next night without spending a lot of time in the kitchen instead of with guests. Highly recommend.
Beef, Okra, and Potato Kebabs
Kebabs are a favorite way to grill meat and vegetables. This recipe features an unusual, delicious grilled okra. Grilling infuses the pods with smoky flavor, and it allows them to maintain their firm texture.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 338
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 11.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 30.6g
- Carbohydrate: 30.4g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 4.8mg
- Sodium: 564mg
- Calcium: 76mg
- 8 fingerling potatoes, each cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup (1-inch-square) cut red bell pepper
- 16 small okra pods
- 8 shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 pound boneless sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices (about 2 cups)
- Cooking spray
- Place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender; drain. Cool.
- Combine parsley and the next 6 ingredients (through black pepper) in a large bowl, stirring well; stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add potatoes, bell pepper, okra, shallots, beef, and squash; toss well to coat. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Prepare grill.
- Thread vegetables and beef alternately onto each of 8 (10-inch) skewers. Sprinkle kebabs evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place kebabs on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 10 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning occasionally.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes