Great flavor. We've made this several times. We subbed chunks of onion in place of the shallots and that worked too. I had never tried grilled okra, and it was surprisingly good. We tripled it for a party and had everything marinating the night before - it was easy to skewer and grill with people over the next night without spending a lot of time in the kitchen instead of with guests. Highly recommend.
Beef, Okra, and Potato Kebabs
Photo: Jan Smith
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 338
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 11.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 30.6g
- Carbohydrate: 30.4g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 4.8mg
- Sodium: 564mg
- Calcium: 76mg
- 8 fingerling potatoes, each cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup (1-inch-square) cut red bell pepper
- 16 small okra pods
- 8 shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 pound boneless sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices (about 2 cups)
- Cooking spray
- Place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender; drain. Cool.
- Combine parsley and the next 6 ingredients (through black pepper) in a large bowl, stirring well; stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add potatoes, bell pepper, okra, shallots, beef, and squash; toss well to coat. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Prepare grill.
- Thread vegetables and beef alternately onto each of 8 (10-inch) skewers. Sprinkle kebabs evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place kebabs on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 10 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning occasionally.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes